Guardian amends article with wrong information on Gukurahundi

Guardian amends article with wrong information on Gukurahundi
Published: 14 June 2017 | by Jason Burke, Guardian African Correspondent

Dear Readers,

Please note that this is an amended article after we noted that the first article made claims that there were thousands of dissidents that were killed during the Gukurahundi Genocide, which was a misrepresentation of Dr Hazel Cameroon's Research paper. After alerting Dr Cameroon on this issue, she and St Andrews University intervened to get that amended. We are grateful to their intervention and the Guardian for their cooperation on this very sensitive issue. We reproduce the online version that has been amended by  Jason Burke, Guardian Africa Correspondent.


Link: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/16/uk-downplayed-killings-zimbabwe-mugabe-guard-interests-study-claims


UK downplayed killings in Zimbabwe to guard its interests, study claims

Officials in London accused of being ‘wilfully blind’ to massacre of thousands by Robert Mugabe in 1980s

Tuesday 16 May 2017 06.05 BSTLast modified on Monday 22 May 2017 16.51 BST

British officials repeatedly downplayed the massacre of thousands of innocent civilians by Robert Mugabe in Zimbabwe in the 1980s to protect the UK’s interests in southern Africa and their relationship with the former colony’s new ruler, new research has claimed.

According to thousands of documents obtained under the Freedom of Information Act by Dr Hazel Cameron, a lecturer in international relations at the University of St Andrews in Scotland, British officials in London and Zimbabwewere “intimately aware” of the atrocities but consistently minimised their scale.

Cameron described the policy as one of “wilful blindness”.

“The British government could have influenced authorities in Zimbabwe but put political and economic interests first ... There were steps they could have taken and they chose not to,” she said.

Mugabe took power in elections held in 1980 following a gruelling and brutal guerilla struggle against white minority rule in what was known as Rhodesia. His Zanu-PF party won more than 60% of the vote.

In 1983 the new leader launched a massive security clampdown in parts of Matabeleland, the heartland of the Ndebele ethnic minority and a stronghold of his political rival, Joshua Nkomo. The operation, prompted by scattered murders and attacks on property allegedly by members of Nkomo’s political party, was spearheaded by the Fifth Brigade of the new Zimbabwean national army and portrayed as directed against “bandits”. The unit had been trained by North Korean military specialists and was fanatically loyal to Mugabe.

Over a nine-month period the Fifth Brigade killed, tortured and raped tens of thousands of unarmed civilians. In all, historians of the period believe, between 10,000 and 20,000 died in the atrocities, and many more suffered severe physical or psychological harm.

The new documents include hundreds of cables exchanged by Robin Byatt, the British high commissioner in Harare, with officials in London. These, Cameron says, reveal the British official attitude towards Zimbabwe in the first months of the massacres.

In one cable, sent on 24 June 1983, Byatt explained how “Zimbabwe is important to us primarily because of major British and western economic and strategic interests in southern Africa, and Zimbabwe’s pivotal position there. Other important interests are investment and trade … prestige, and the need to avoid a mass white exodus. Zimbabwe … [also] is a bulwark against Soviet inroads”.

When Jeremy Paxman arrived in Zimbabwe in March 1983 to make a documentary for the BBC’s Panorama, Byatt complained that the journalist was taking an “unreservedly gloomy and sensational view of events”.

When Britain’s then foreign secretary, Geoffrey Howe, asked for the diplomat’s reaction to an article in Newsweek graphically describing the Fifth Brigade’s violence, Byatt said its author had “a reputation for sensational reporting”.

 

 Zanu-PF fighters pictured in 1980. Photograph: Brian Harris//Rex/Shutterstock

“The behaviour of the Fifth Brigade has certainly been brutal but it is [the] impression [of senior British military officials] that they are not out of control,” the high commissioner wrote.

As the violence in Matabeleland intensified, Byatt relayed the allegations of killings made by opposition politicians in Zimbabwe and told London he had received reports indicating widespread acts of brutality including murder, rape and torture.

With concern growing among western diplomats in Harare, the high commissioner told London “he was sure that our best tactic is to continue to try to proffer sympathetic and constructive, rather than simply critical, advice if we wish to influence Zimbabwean decisions”.

The policy of engaging with Mugabe was supported by Foreign Office mandarins. The campaign of violence – known as Gukurahundi, a local word for the wind which separates chaff from grain – continued into 1984.

Jilly Byatt, the wife of the former high commissioner, said criticism of her husband, who is ill, was misplaced and that the decision to opt for engagement with Mugabe rather than confrontation had saved lives.

“It was very important to keep good relations ... Aggressive criticism would have got us nowhere. It would just not have worked,” she said.

“Mugabe had just begun to trust the British again ... and nothing would have been gained by losing that trust. The slaughter would just have worsened. It is unthinkable that we could have helped in any way in the activities of the Fifth Brigade.”

Experts said the influence of foreigners in Zimbabwe at the time was more limited than sometimes suggested.

Stuart Doran, a historian and author of a forthcoming book on the atrocities, said: “The Gukurahundi was driven by Mugabe and Zanu-PF from start to finish. This was a domestic issue [but] there’s no doubt that serious misjudgments were made by the British ... By 1983, when the massacres began, members of the high commission were swallowing much of Mugabe’s propaganda without adequate reflection. It had become a habit ... and they weren’t alone. Plenty of other western diplomats were in the same place.”

None of the perpetrators have been held accountable for the atrocities of the 1980s. Those implicated include many who are now senior political figures in Zimbabwe. Mugabe recently celebrated his 93rd birthday and has been in power for 36 years.

Emerson Mnangagwa, the 70-year-old vice-president, is mentioned in the new documents in a letter from tycoon Roland “Tiny” Rowland to the US ambassador.

Rowland, whose Lonrho conglomerate had major investments in Zimbabwe, wrote that he was “absolutely convinced” that Mugabe knew about the atrocities and claimed that Mnangagwa, then secretary of state for security, was “fully aware”.

Mnangagwa, who denies any responsibility for the killings in Matabeleland, is tipped by many observers to succeed Mugabe on his death.

“The alleged main perpetrators are still in charge of the political and military infrastructure in Zimbabwe. It is still very difficult for survivors and their relatives to have any form of justice,” Cameron said.

Thembani Dube, a survivor of the massacres and a human rights activist, said the research “unravels the complicit role of the British government of Margaret Thatcher”.

The reaction of British officials and the government sometimes contrasted with that of US diplomats and policymakers, even if official policy may not have differed greatly.

George Shultz, the then US secretary of state, noted “the Fifth Brigade military operations in Matabeleland have succeeded in terrorising, intimidating and alienating the people of Matabeleland”. The “mailed fist policy of the government of Zimbabwe was directed not only against dissidents themselves but against the sea in which the enemy fish swim”, he added.

US diplomats reported that the Foreign Office prioritised “bilateral relations” with Zimbabwe and complained that British officials were “excessively defensive about what has been going on in Matabeleland”, describing one as “almost an apologist for the [government of Zimbabwe]”.

In a recently published academic article detailing her research, which was self-funded, Cameron quotes a cable from Byatt in which the diplomat points out that “the white farming community (a substantial portion of which is British or dual [nationality]) are being treated scrupulously correctly by the Fifth Brigade and, while they dislike the methods being used, are relieved that their own security has improved very considerably as a result of Fifth Brigade deployment”.

This, Byatt said, was “the other side of the coin” to the alleged atrocities.

One of the Foreign Office’s deepest concerns, other than the wellbeing of British citizens in newly independent Zimbabwe, was the effect on public opinion in the UK of reports of atrocities.

Senior ministers who visited Zimbabwe while the Gukurahundi offensive was ongoing failed to mention the atrocities in parliamentary reports on their return.

When Prince Charles met Peter Preston, then editor of the Guardian and Donald Trelford, then editor of the Observer, who had published his own eyewitness account of the atrocities, shortly after a 1984 visit to Zimbabwe, the prince said the Foreign Office had told him that “those massacres in Matabeleland [were] all exaggerated”.

• This article was amended on 19 May 2017 to remove references to dissidents.


- Source: The Guardian, republished by umthwakazireview.com

Comments

Latest News

Gorden Moyo is a big Matebele apologist beast
Gorden Moyo grovelling at the feet of Shona supremacists is very e...
Mzilikazi II visits Nyamandlovu
The long awaited visit by the King to Nyamandlovu came to pass yes...
Thabo Kunene a hero and a giant of Matebeleland:MLO
MLO President Cde Paul Siwela and the Supreme Council was shocked ...
Paul Siwela on the murky politics of Zimbabwe, Africa and the British
It became clear to some of us a long time ago that Mrs Grace Mugab...
Thabo Kunene an irreplaceable loss: MLF
There is no word that can express how sorry we were to hear about ...

Polls

What is the greatest threat to Mthwakazi nation

72%
4%
7%
15%
1893 Movement bids farewell to the doyen of journalism, Thabo Kunene
It is with great shock and sadness that the 1893 Mthwakazi Restora...
Matebeleland Football Team kickstarts its World Cup Preps
The Matabeleland Football Confederacy has commenced its preparatio...
HRM King Lobhengula FC holds HIV/AIDS Tournament
HRM King Lobhengula Football Club popularly known as “Amawaba”...
Mzilikazi II's Royal Office warns Eddie Cross over reckless Ndebele st
Eddie Cross is reported in the press to have said the emergence of...
MLF guns for ANN7's Chimwanda for importing Gukurahundism to RSA
The Editoreditor@ann7.comDear Sir/MadamRef: Complaint Against Yo...
1893 MRM President’s Cultural Heritage Day Speech, South Africa
1893 MRM President’s Cultural Heritage Day Speech, South Africa:...
HRM King Mzilikazi II wows Plumtree folks
It was a joyous occasion for the throngs of people numbering close...
1893 Mthwakazi Restoration Movement’s Condolence Message to Moyo Fam
It is with great sadness that the 1893 Mthwakazi Restoration Movemen...
Chimwanda imports media Gukurahundism to ANN7 against Loyiko
The genocidal, oppressive and tribalistic Shona supremacy system p...
Mzilikazi II's triumphalism: He came. He saw. He smiled. He won
The suppressed public Coronation of King Mzilikazi the Second on t...
MLF hails King SRK as a towering figure
PUTTING RULE BY CONQUEST TO RESTThe revival of the kingship in ...
Nyandayemkhonto Khumalo attacks the Khumalo clan's conduct, backs SRK
I have seen all that the enemy of Mthwakazi is us the people of Mt...
King Mzilikazi II's Speech that the terrified Zimbabwean Regime feared
We are a generation that has never known what freedom and peac...
Mzilikazi coronated,ready to announce King's interim council
Taking note of the Zimbabwean system’s disruption of the public ...
Loyiko duo to appear on ANN7's Africa Tonight Programme
South African theatre artist ensemble, uLoyiko has informe...
Mbizo Khumalo backs Mzilikazi II, denounces opponents
A  descendent of King Mzilikazi Khumalo whose great grandfa...
AmaPholisa lezitha bakhanda amacebo okuthumba uMzilikazi II
Imbangi zeNkosi uMzilikazi wesibili kanye lababona ngezokuphepha e...
MLF's dossier of Mugabe's ghastly crimes, calls for Kingdom
           ...
ANSA's Mzila blasts Mugabe for Mandela jibe
Many right thinking people are shocked by Robert Mugabe's drag...
Breaking News: Matebeleland Qualifies for CONIFA World Football Cup
BREAKING NEWS - MATABELELAND QUALIFIES FOR THE CONIFA WORLD FOOTBA...
Isikhulumeli sikaMzilikazi II sethula umbiko ogcweleyo ngohlukunyezo
Bayetheeee wena kaNgeza, kaMdlomelo, kaKhuhlumba, kaHlangabeza, ...
Mzilikazi II Released after hours of harassment
Bulawayo- After the Zimbabwean government sent its Police Inte...
Breaking News: Mzilikazi II arrested by PISI
Bulawayo-Latest reliable sources indicate that Mzilikazi ...
Police internal Security and Intelligence Unit raid Mzilikazi II's Hou
Bulawayo-Reports filtering through to umthwakazireview.com indicat...
Zenzele castigates Lobhengula House, makes 12th Sept count down
Thirteen days to the independence of Mthwakazi under the Command o...
Zenzele backs Mzilikazi II, denounces Zimbabwe systems and elections
As the Mighty King Mzilikazi left KZN before it was named, nobod...
Mzilikazi II's Spokesperson releases a statement on recent events
24th August 2017PRESS STATEMENT FROM HRM KING MZILIKAZI II’S SPO...
MLF defends SRK, Denounces Zim Police and Intelligence
Zimbabwean Police and Central Intelligence operatives invade Mzilika...
Zimbabwean Police and Central Intelligence operatives invade Mzilikazi
Bulawayo-Reliable sources indicate that the Zimbabwean police and ...
ABelusi beZimvu bakhupha idlalade elitsha elivuthayo
Salibonani Mthwakazi omuhle labantu labantu bakhe umhlaba won...